If your dog gets stung by a bee, preventing an allergic reaction is crucial. Our vets from Danbury explain what actions you should take to help your furry friend.
Signs of a Dog's Bee Sting
Watch out for signs like drooling, swelling, excessive licking, and pawing at a specific area, as these are the most obvious symptoms of a bee sting. If you see your dog digging around in a flower bush and crying out, it's safe to assume that a bee sting is the cause. Dogs usually get stung on their paw pads, mouth, or face.
What to Do if Your Dog Has Been Stung By a Bee
If your dog gets stung, watch for signs of an allergic reaction and contact your vet to inform them and ask if you should bring your dog in for a check-up.
Watch Your Dog for an Allergic Reaction
After a bee sting, it's important to watch out for any allergic reactions in your dog. If your dog has been stung by many bees at once or has been stung before, they are more likely to have an allergic reaction.
Watch out for any swelling on the neck or face, and check your pet's breathing. If you notice any significant swelling or breathing difficulties, take your dog to an emergency vet immediately.
Keep an eye out for vomiting, pale gums, drooling, agitation, or sudden aggression, as these could be signs of a severe allergic reaction.
How to Comfort Your Dog After a Bee Sting
If your dog gets stung by something and you don't see any signs of an allergic reaction after 30 minutes to an hour, you can focus on making them comfortable.
Your vet may have suggested giving them antihistamines like Benadryl, but make sure to follow the recommended dosage for your dog.
The sting area will likely be sore and swollen, so if you can see the stinger, remove it with tweezers to relieve pain and stop the venom from spreading.
Most dogs should start feeling better within a few hours and back to normal in a day or two. You can place a damp towel on the sting site to reduce swelling.